Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson picks up 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
Rays @ Pirates: Johnson debuts in left field
Posted Feb 27, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 27, 2013 at 09:36 AM
BRADENTON Jeremy Hellickson makes his spring training debut this afternoon against the Pirates at historic McKechnie Field.
Jeff Niemann will make the start and work two innings. Hellickson will follow.
Kelly Johnson will play left field for the first time this spring. The second baseman hasn’t played left since his rookie year in 2005 when he was with the Braves.
Here is the Rays lineup: