Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
Rays @ Pirates: Jennings scratched with sore shoulder
Posted Mar 22, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Mar 22, 2012 at 11:35 AM
BRADENTON The Rays return to the scene of one of their five victories, having taken down the Pirates 2-1 last Saturday.
Just like last Saturday, James Shields is on the hill for the Rays looking to continue his solid spring – 2-0, 0.75 ERA.
LF Desmond Jennings was scratched from the lineup because of a sore shoulder. Manager Joe Maddon said it is not serious.
Not much has changed on the B.J. Upton/Reid Brignac front.
Upton is still day-to-day with lower back soreness and Brignac still needs to give the cortisone shot he received Monday time to do its work before the Rays know the status of his right foot.
In an effort to prepare for Brignac possibly not being available to start the regular season, Elliot Johnson will get more playing time at shortstop. Johnson is starting there today.
Here is the Rays lineup: