Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Panini goes on a basketball Crusade
- Sunlake’s Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers’ 2014 Mr. Soccer
- Rays v Twins: Injury updates and lineups
- Novel explores temptations, ramifications of steroid use
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
Rays @ Pirates: Jennings scratched with sore shoulder
Posted Mar 22, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Mar 22, 2012 at 11:35 AM
BRADENTON The Rays return to the scene of one of their five victories, having taken down the Pirates 2-1 last Saturday.
Just like last Saturday, James Shields is on the hill for the Rays looking to continue his solid spring – 2-0, 0.75 ERA.
LF Desmond Jennings was scratched from the lineup because of a sore shoulder. Manager Joe Maddon said it is not serious.
Not much has changed on the B.J. Upton/Reid Brignac front.
Upton is still day-to-day with lower back soreness and Brignac still needs to give the cortisone shot he received Monday time to do its work before the Rays know the status of his right foot.
In an effort to prepare for Brignac possibly not being available to start the regular season, Elliot Johnson will get more playing time at shortstop. Johnson is starting there today.
Here is the Rays lineup: