Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Rays @ Pirates: Jennings scratched with sore shoulder
Posted Mar 22, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Mar 22, 2012 at 11:35 AM
BRADENTON The Rays return to the scene of one of their five victories, having taken down the Pirates 2-1 last Saturday.
Just like last Saturday, James Shields is on the hill for the Rays looking to continue his solid spring – 2-0, 0.75 ERA.
LF Desmond Jennings was scratched from the lineup because of a sore shoulder. Manager Joe Maddon said it is not serious.
Not much has changed on the B.J. Upton/Reid Brignac front.
Upton is still day-to-day with lower back soreness and Brignac still needs to give the cortisone shot he received Monday time to do its work before the Rays know the status of his right foot.
In an effort to prepare for Brignac possibly not being available to start the regular season, Elliot Johnson will get more playing time at shortstop. Johnson is starting there today.
Here is the Rays lineup: