Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
Rays @ Phillies: Not many regulars on the trip
Posted Mar 26, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Mar 26, 2013 at 08:16 AM
PORT CHARLOTTE The Rays are not exactly rolling out the varsity when the play the Phillies this afternoon in Clearwater. Only three players who will be on the Opening Day roster are in the lineup, four if you include pitcher Roberto Hernandez.
That’s what you get with a trip to Clearwater following a night game in which all the regulars play.
For those who enjoy watching the kids play, you’ll see outfielder Drew Vettleson, a first round pick in the 2010 draft, make his first start in a big league game.
Here is the vaunted lineup: