Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays pick up pitcher in minor league Rule 5 draft
- Land O’ Lakes cross country stars Travis Nichols, Tyler Stahl commit to North Florida
- Beck staying with Longhorns
- Boys Basketball:FABC/Source Hoops Florida State Poll
- No Kloss? It’s baffling
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
Rays @ Phillies: Not many regulars on the trip
Posted Mar 26, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Mar 26, 2013 at 08:16 AM
PORT CHARLOTTE The Rays are not exactly rolling out the varsity when the play the Phillies this afternoon in Clearwater. Only three players who will be on the Opening Day roster are in the lineup, four if you include pitcher Roberto Hernandez.
That’s what you get with a trip to Clearwater following a night game in which all the regulars play.
For those who enjoy watching the kids play, you’ll see outfielder Drew Vettleson, a first round pick in the 2010 draft, make his first start in a big league game.
Here is the vaunted lineup: