Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Rays @ O’s: Bringing the varsity on the road
Posted Mar 14, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Mar 14, 2013 at 08:32 AM
SARASOTA The Rays return from their second off day of the spring with a road game this afternoon against the Orioles at Ed Smith Stadium.
Jeff Niemann, competing for a spot in the rotation with Roberto Hernandez, makes his fifth appearance of the spring and fourth straight away from Charlotte Sports Park. He’s allowed seven hits and two runs in his last two outings covering 6 1/3 innings.
The Rays are bringing what will be their Opening Day lineup, without, of course, Ben Zobrist and Jose Molina, who are still competing in the World Baseball Classic.
Here is the lineup: