Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Panini goes on a basketball Crusade
- Sunlake’s Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers’ 2014 Mr. Soccer
- Rays v Twins: Injury updates and lineups
- Novel explores temptations, ramifications of steroid use
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
Rays LHP Torres added to Venezuela WBC roster
Posted Feb 21, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 21, 2013 at 03:38 PM
PORT CHARLOTTE Rays left-hander Alex Torres has been added to the Venezuela roster for next month’s World Baseball Classic.
Rays left-hander Cesar Ramos has been added to Mexico’s roster for next month’s World Baseball Classic.
This brings the total of Rays headed to the tournament to five as Torres joins utility fielder Ben Zobrist (USA), closer Fernando Rodney (Dominican), catcher Jose Molina (Puerto Rico) and pitcher Cesar Ramos (Mexico).
Pitcher Joel Peralta withdrew from the Dominican team over this past weekend.
All five players will leave the Rays by March 3 for the training camps of their respective teams.
The Dominican opens pool play March 7 against Venezuela in Puerto Rico.
Puerto Rico begins pool play March 8 against Spain.
Mexico and the USA meet in the first game of pool play March 8 in Phoenix.