Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
- Maddux, Glavine, Thomas highlight newcomers on Hall of Fame ballot
Rays @ Jays: Playing under the stars
Posted Apr 19, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 19, 2012 at 05:13 PM
TORONTO They will play with the roof open tonight at Rogers Centre, which might have as much to do with the weather – mid-60s – as the Rays pitcher.
Jeremy Hellickson is a fly ball pitcher and the ball carries better here when the roof is open.
It’s also the first time in nine home games this season the Jays will play under the April night.
A win tonight and the Rays finish this 10-game road trip 4-6 and return to the Trop, where they open a three-game series Friday with the Twins, at 7-6 on the season.
Here are the lineups:
Hellickson RHP (1-0, 3.29)
Alvarez RHP (0-0, 2.77)