Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
- Boys Basketball: Jean, Ingram make 7A All-State Team
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Aaron auto is mystery redemption card No. 1 for 2014 Topps Tribute
- Bishop McLaughlin names assistant Craig Moore as its head football coach
Rays @ Jays: Playing under the stars
Posted Apr 19, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 19, 2012 at 05:13 PM
TORONTO They will play with the roof open tonight at Rogers Centre, which might have as much to do with the weather – mid-60s – as the Rays pitcher.
Jeremy Hellickson is a fly ball pitcher and the ball carries better here when the roof is open.
It’s also the first time in nine home games this season the Jays will play under the April night.
A win tonight and the Rays finish this 10-game road trip 4-6 and return to the Trop, where they open a three-game series Friday with the Twins, at 7-6 on the season.
Here are the lineups:
Hellickson RHP (1-0, 3.29)
Alvarez RHP (0-0, 2.77)