Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
Rays @ Jays: Playing under the stars
Posted Apr 19, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 19, 2012 at 05:13 PM
TORONTO They will play with the roof open tonight at Rogers Centre, which might have as much to do with the weather – mid-60s – as the Rays pitcher.
Jeremy Hellickson is a fly ball pitcher and the ball carries better here when the roof is open.
It’s also the first time in nine home games this season the Jays will play under the April night.
A win tonight and the Rays finish this 10-game road trip 4-6 and return to the Trop, where they open a three-game series Friday with the Twins, at 7-6 on the season.
Here are the lineups:
Hellickson RHP (1-0, 3.29)
Alvarez RHP (0-0, 2.77)