Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Gausman is Bowman’s No. 3 redemption card
- Topps previews baseball Update series
- Panini’s Prime Hockey will have extra treat
- Rays juggle rotation to get Cobb a start this weekend against Yankees
- Beckett opens weekly Wednesday chat room on Facebook page
- Rays @ Jays: Joyce update, Longo DH, Molina returns
- NFL Network report on Revis is revealing
- In The Game acquires Sport Kings LP
- Pasco WR Nate Craig (2016) up to 15 Division I offers
- Tampa Bay softball players honored by FACA
- Western Conference Baseball Teams
- Pasco baseball players Blaine Duncan, Matt Plourde headed to Barry, Daytona State respectively
- Maddon changes stance on Escobar’s home run guesture
- Panini previews Rookies & Stars football
- A peek at Panini’s 2013 Cooperstown Collection
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Rays @ Jays: Lueke recalled to help bullpen
Posted May 15, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated May 15, 2012 at 03:44 PM
TORONTO A win tonight and the Rays end an up and down eight-game road trip with a .500 record and no worse than a share of first place with the Orioles. Not bad for a team that has lost three players to injuries during the three-city trip.
Jeff Niemann heads to the disabled list today after suffering a small fracture above his right ankle during the first inning of last night’s 7-1 win against the Blue Jays.
Josh Lueke, who made the Opening Day roster when Kyle Farnsworth began the season on the DL, was recalled today to add a fresh arm to a bullpen that had to pick up eight innings Monday after Niemann suffered his injury.
Niemann is expected to miss at least 4 to 6 weeks and probably more.
David Price will try end the trip on a positive and remain undefeated at Rogers Centre. He is 4-0 with a 3.41 ERA in five starts in Toronto.
Elliot Johnson brings a six-game hitting streak into the game.
Ben Zobrist, moved to the leadoff spot after Desmond Jennings sprained his knee May 6, has reached base in his first at-bats in five of the seven games since being moved to the leadoff spot, including walks in each of the last three.