Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Top recruits aren’t the only people being developed under Callahan
- Pasco High’s Andrew Ivie, Bowman Archibald pick up offers from USF
- Panini reveals details about Pinnacle basketball
- Rays pick up pitcher in minor league Rule 5 draft
- Land O’ Lakes cross country stars Travis Nichols, Tyler Stahl commit to North Florida
- Beck staying with Longhorns
- Boys Basketball:FABC/Source Hoops Florida State Poll
- No Kloss? It’s baffling
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
Rays, Iwamura Reach Agreement
Posted Dec 14, 2006 by Aaron Knox
Updated Dec 14, 2006 at 11:04 PM
The Devil Rays will announce Friday that they have reached an agreement to sign Japanese infielder Akinori Iwamura to a three-year contract worth about $7.25-million, with a one-year team option for 2010. The deal isn’t completely done; there still are minor details to work out, which will be settled sometime early Friday.
Iwamura, 27, is likely to be the Rays’ primary third baseman after winning five Gold Gloves at that position for the Central League Yakult Swallows. But he also has expressed his willingness to move around the diamond, and could project best in the majors as a second baseman.