Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yanks: Nova to DL, Teixeira returns, updates on Cobb, Helly, DJ and lineups
- Rays v Yankees: Jennings out with groin injury
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
Rays, Iwamura Reach Agreement
Posted Dec 14, 2006 by Aaron Knox
Updated Dec 14, 2006 at 11:04 PM
The Devil Rays will announce Friday that they have reached an agreement to sign Japanese infielder Akinori Iwamura to a three-year contract worth about $7.25-million, with a one-year team option for 2010. The deal isn’t completely done; there still are minor details to work out, which will be settled sometime early Friday.
Iwamura, 27, is likely to be the Rays’ primary third baseman after winning five Gold Gloves at that position for the Central League Yakult Swallows. But he also has expressed his willingness to move around the diamond, and could project best in the majors as a second baseman.