Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
- Rays @ BoSox: Archer’s first start
Rays @ Indians: Upton sits, Joyce hits and ‘Day Game’ Shields
Posted May 12, 2011 by Roger Mooney
Updated May 12, 2011 at 10:26 AM
BY ROGER MOONEY
CLEVELAND It’s Weather Education Day here at Progressive Field, which is good because the hundreds of kids at today’s 12:05 p.m. matinee just might see what a ballpark looks like when it rains.
Showers and thunderstorms are predicted this afternoon and some might fall on Cleveland, according to this morning’s forecast.
That tarp sitting in shallow left field is ominous. That’s where the ground crew left it Tuesday during batting practice and the start that night was delayed for 95 minutes by thunderstorms in the area.
Matt Joyce continues to lead the AL in batting. He starts the game with a .358 average. Jason Kubel of the Twins is second at .355. Jose Bautista of the Blue Jays is at .350.
Ben Zobrist is tied with Miguel Cabrera of the Tigers for the AL lead in runs with 30 each.
James Shields is trying to be James “Day Game” Shields this afternoon. Actually, Shields is pretty good in the day with a career 3.60 ERA in day games as opposed to a 4.39 career ERA at night.
This season, Shields has a 0.53 ERA in two afternoon starts.
B.J. Upton will serve the first day of his two-day suspension. Sam Fuld moves over to center field.
Here is the Rays lineup:
Elliot Johnson 2B