Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
- Boys Basketball: Jean, Ingram make 7A All-State Team
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Aaron auto is mystery redemption card No. 1 for 2014 Topps Tribute
- Bishop McLaughlin names assistant Craig Moore as its head football coach
Rays @ Indians: Upton sits, Joyce hits and ‘Day Game’ Shields
Posted May 12, 2011 by Roger Mooney
Updated May 12, 2011 at 10:26 AM
BY ROGER MOONEY
CLEVELAND It’s Weather Education Day here at Progressive Field, which is good because the hundreds of kids at today’s 12:05 p.m. matinee just might see what a ballpark looks like when it rains.
Showers and thunderstorms are predicted this afternoon and some might fall on Cleveland, according to this morning’s forecast.
That tarp sitting in shallow left field is ominous. That’s where the ground crew left it Tuesday during batting practice and the start that night was delayed for 95 minutes by thunderstorms in the area.
Matt Joyce continues to lead the AL in batting. He starts the game with a .358 average. Jason Kubel of the Twins is second at .355. Jose Bautista of the Blue Jays is at .350.
Ben Zobrist is tied with Miguel Cabrera of the Tigers for the AL lead in runs with 30 each.
James Shields is trying to be James “Day Game” Shields this afternoon. Actually, Shields is pretty good in the day with a career 3.60 ERA in day games as opposed to a 4.39 career ERA at night.
This season, Shields has a 0.53 ERA in two afternoon starts.
B.J. Upton will serve the first day of his two-day suspension. Sam Fuld moves over to center field.
Here is the Rays lineup:
Elliot Johnson 2B