Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
- Rays @ BoSox: Archer’s first start
Rays hitters to get more ABs in spring games
Posted Feb 27, 2010 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 27, 2010 at 05:05 PM
Expect to see a whole lot more hitting from the Rays this March. Or, at least more at-bats.
Rays manager Joe Maddon said he will increase the amount of at-bats for Carlos Peña, Carl Crawford, Jason Bartlett, Evan Longoria, etc, by at least 10 and as many as 20.
This is part of Maddon’s effort to get the team off to a good start in the regular season.
“It is,” Maddon said, “and (hitting coach Derek Shelton has) done a nice job of researching their best years and how many ABs they had in spring training during those years, and it’s reflective of a good number of at-bats for some of these guys. Maybe a little bit more than they’ve had recently.”
Maddon generally schedules the hitters to receive 50 to 60 at-bats each spring.
“It seems like the magic number is between 60 and 70 if there is a range, and then maybe one or two guys 70-plus,” Maddon said. “If we can do that we’d like to do that.”