Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Rays expect Cantu to report
Posted Apr 2, 2007 by Marc Lancaster
Updated Apr 2, 2007 at 02:44 PM
Some news from earlier: Andrew Friedman says the Rays expect Jorge Cantu to be in Durham’s lineup for the Bulls’ April 5 season opener.
“I fully expect him to arrive on time and get down there and be in the Opening Day lineup and have some success early offensively,” said Friedman.
Cantu’s 72-hour window to report to Triple-A expires tomorrow, but tomorrow’s a travel day for the Bulls as they head to North Carolina. They have a workout there Wednesday before opening the season against Syracuse. After conversations with Cantu’s agent, Friedman said the player’s initial reaction after being optioned down Saturday has cooled somewhat.
“In the moment, he was understandably very upset,” said Friedman. “I think in the last couple of days he, per his agent, has kind of seen the big picture and is very focused and determined to have success and get back to the major-league level. He doesn’t see himself as a minor-league player, so I know he’s very motivated to get off to a good start.”