Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yanks: Nova to DL, Teixeira returns, updates on Cobb, Helly, DJ and lineups
- Rays v Yankees: Jennings out with groin injury
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
Rays @ ChiSox: Jennings gets day off, Joyce batting leadoff
Posted Apr 26, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 26, 2013 at 05:49 PM
CHICAGO Desmond Jennings gets his first day off the season tonight when the Rays play the White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field.
Sam Fuld will replace him in center field and Matt Joyce, who has two RBI on a pair of solo home runs in 17 games this season.
This is Joyce’s third start as the leadoff hitter. In the first two starts he was 5-for-8 with home runs in each game.
He’s batting .185 this season and is one of four American League players to not have a hit this season with a runner in scoring position. Joyce is 0-for-13 with RISP.
Roberto Hernandez (1-3, 4.74) starts tonight for the Rays against Jake Peavy (2-1, 3.20).
The Rays are 2-8 on the road this season, including 0-1 on this 10-game, three-city trip.
SS Yunel Escobar said his right hamstring is feeling better and expects to play Saturday after missing only two games with tightness in the area.
Here is the Rays lineup:
Hernandez RHP (1-3, 4.74)