Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Twins: Injury updates and lineups
- Novel explores temptations, ramifications of steroid use
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
Rays @ ChiSox: Jennings gets day off, Joyce batting leadoff
Posted Apr 26, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 26, 2013 at 05:49 PM
CHICAGO Desmond Jennings gets his first day off the season tonight when the Rays play the White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field.
Sam Fuld will replace him in center field and Matt Joyce, who has two RBI on a pair of solo home runs in 17 games this season.
This is Joyce’s third start as the leadoff hitter. In the first two starts he was 5-for-8 with home runs in each game.
He’s batting .185 this season and is one of four American League players to not have a hit this season with a runner in scoring position. Joyce is 0-for-13 with RISP.
Roberto Hernandez (1-3, 4.74) starts tonight for the Rays against Jake Peavy (2-1, 3.20).
The Rays are 2-8 on the road this season, including 0-1 on this 10-game, three-city trip.
SS Yunel Escobar said his right hamstring is feeling better and expects to play Saturday after missing only two games with tightness in the area.
Here is the Rays lineup:
Hernandez RHP (1-3, 4.74)