Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Rays @ ChiSox: Jennings gets day off, Joyce batting leadoff
Posted Apr 26, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 26, 2013 at 05:49 PM
CHICAGO Desmond Jennings gets his first day off the season tonight when the Rays play the White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field.
Sam Fuld will replace him in center field and Matt Joyce, who has two RBI on a pair of solo home runs in 17 games this season.
This is Joyce’s third start as the leadoff hitter. In the first two starts he was 5-for-8 with home runs in each game.
He’s batting .185 this season and is one of four American League players to not have a hit this season with a runner in scoring position. Joyce is 0-for-13 with RISP.
Roberto Hernandez (1-3, 4.74) starts tonight for the Rays against Jake Peavy (2-1, 3.20).
The Rays are 2-8 on the road this season, including 0-1 on this 10-game, three-city trip.
SS Yunel Escobar said his right hamstring is feeling better and expects to play Saturday after missing only two games with tightness in the area.
Here is the Rays lineup:
Hernandez RHP (1-3, 4.74)