Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
- Rays @ BoSox: Archer’s first start
Rays @ ChiSox: Escobar sits, Zobrist at SS
Posted Apr 25, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 25, 2013 at 05:44 PM
CHICAGO The Rays begin their 10-game road trip tonight at chilly U.S. Cellular Field, where the temps should be in the mid-40s.
Jeremy Hellickson will face the White Sox with a chance to make some Rays history.
Matt Moore (8 innings), David Price (8) and Alex Cobb (8 1/3) matched the team record for consecutive starts by a starter of at least eight innings, which has been twice before. The last was in 2011 at Boston when James Shields, Jeff Niemann and David Price did it on Aug. 16 and 17. Aug. 16 was a doubleheader.
Shortstop Yunel Escobar (right hamstring tightness) is not in tonight’s lineup. He was not available in the clubhouse to talk about his injury, but he has been telling teammates that it’s not serious and he might only miss tonight’s game.
Ben Zobrist will start at shortstop tonight.
Here are the lineups:
Hellickson RHP (1-1, 3.50)
De Aza LF
Sale LHP (1-2, 4.50)