Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Rays @ ChiSox: Escobar sits, Zobrist at SS
Posted Apr 25, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 25, 2013 at 05:44 PM
CHICAGO The Rays begin their 10-game road trip tonight at chilly U.S. Cellular Field, where the temps should be in the mid-40s.
Jeremy Hellickson will face the White Sox with a chance to make some Rays history.
Matt Moore (8 innings), David Price (8) and Alex Cobb (8 1/3) matched the team record for consecutive starts by a starter of at least eight innings, which has been twice before. The last was in 2011 at Boston when James Shields, Jeff Niemann and David Price did it on Aug. 16 and 17. Aug. 16 was a doubleheader.
Shortstop Yunel Escobar (right hamstring tightness) is not in tonight’s lineup. He was not available in the clubhouse to talk about his injury, but he has been telling teammates that it’s not serious and he might only miss tonight’s game.
Ben Zobrist will start at shortstop tonight.
Here are the lineups:
Hellickson RHP (1-1, 3.50)
De Aza LF
Sale LHP (1-2, 4.50)