Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yankees: Jennings out with groin injury
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
Rays bring Velandia back to Durham
Posted Aug 31, 2008 by Marc Lancaster
Updated Aug 31, 2008 at 05:56 PM
Slick gloveman Jorge Velandia is back in the Rays organization. Tampa Bay has reacquired him from Cleveland for cash considerations and he’ll join Durham for the Bulls’ postseason run.
Despite what MLB.com might have you believe, though, Velandia is NOT being added to the Rays’ 40-man roster. Not to say he might not end up here eventually in case of an injury, but it’s not happening now.
Velandia has been with the Blue Jays and Indians this season. He spent last year with the Rays, playing mostly in Durham before getting a call-up late in the season. Good man, good glove.
Updating, 5:50 The Rays also acquired catcher Michel Hernandez from the Pirates organization for cash. Hernandez, 30, hit .266 with 17 RBIs in 76 games for Indianapolis.