Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Rays @ BoSox: Guyer out for the season, Jennings close to returning and lineups
Posted May 25, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated May 25, 2012 at 06:09 PM
BOSTON OF Brandon Guyer will miss the rest of the season because of a torn labrum in his left shoulder.
Guyer, on the DL since May 16 with what was believed to be a shoulder strain sustained while taking batting practice in Baltimore on May 13, will miss the rest of the season.
In other injury news, LF Desmond Jennings (left knee sprain) will begin a minor league rehab assignment by the middle of next week.
Carlos Peña will bat leadoff tonight against the Red Sox at Fenway Park for the third straight game. Joe Maddon moved Sean Rodriguez from third to second base and will play Drew Sutton at third.
Alex Cobb makes his second start of the season. He will be opposed by BoSox lefty Jon Lester.
The Rays begin the night one-game behind the first place Orioles.
Here are the lineups:
Cobb RHP (1-0, 2.57)
Lester LHP (3-3, 3.95)