Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Collect call: 2013 Bowman baseball
- Rays @ O’s: Rays on FOX game of the week
- Seffner Christian’s Hanson picks Liberty
- Current Baseball America prospect list boasts five locals
- Rays @ O’s: Hellickson returns to mound to start trip
- Former Newsome tennis standout, Hersh, named POY
- Bishop McLaughlin sophomore OH Alyssa Mathis commits to San Diego State
- Rays v BoSox: Price looks for 2nd win, Escobar moved to 5th in order
- Area athletes sign and commit to colleges
- Steinbrenner announces athletic signings
- Mitchell P/INF Chris McCormick commits to PHCC
- Three Hudson girls soccer players, including first the Division I scholarship, to sign Friday
- Connors holds serve in autobiography
- Allergies might be behind Price’s poor start
- Holy Names’ Martin picks TCU
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Rays @ BoSox: Decision on Lobaton coming real soon
Posted Apr 14, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 14, 2012 at 02:51 PM
BOSTON The decision on C Jose Lobaton is coming soon, and unless his right shoulder makes a dramatic improvement this afternoon, he will head to the disabled list.
Jose Molina is starting today for the second straight game. Add the two innings he caught at the end of Thursday’s game in Detroit when Lobaton injured his shoulder and that is a heavy workload on his 36-year-old body.
So, the Rays need someone other than Molina to catch Sunday. If Lobaton’s shoulder is not ready, they will have to dip into the minor leagues. Chris Gimenez (groin) is eligible to come off Durham’s disabled list tomorrow, so it would make sense he will be recalled and catch Matt Moore.
RHP Dane De La Rose was recalled last night to replace RHP Josh Lueke in the bullpen. De La Rosa is here because the Rays need someone who can throw a couple of innings this afternoon if RHP Jeremy Hellickson struggles in his first start since being hit in the head with a batted baseball.
Good news for the Rays: DH Luke Scott is making his first start since tweaking his left hamstring on Easter Sunday.
Even better news: Former Ray Kelly Shoppach is not in the Red Sox lineup.
Here are the lineups:
Hellickson 1-0, 0.00
Buchholz 0-0, 15.75