Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Rays @ BoSox: Decision on Lobaton coming real soon
Posted Apr 14, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 14, 2012 at 02:51 PM
BOSTON The decision on C Jose Lobaton is coming soon, and unless his right shoulder makes a dramatic improvement this afternoon, he will head to the disabled list.
Jose Molina is starting today for the second straight game. Add the two innings he caught at the end of Thursday’s game in Detroit when Lobaton injured his shoulder and that is a heavy workload on his 36-year-old body.
So, the Rays need someone other than Molina to catch Sunday. If Lobaton’s shoulder is not ready, they will have to dip into the minor leagues. Chris Gimenez (groin) is eligible to come off Durham’s disabled list tomorrow, so it would make sense he will be recalled and catch Matt Moore.
RHP Dane De La Rose was recalled last night to replace RHP Josh Lueke in the bullpen. De La Rosa is here because the Rays need someone who can throw a couple of innings this afternoon if RHP Jeremy Hellickson struggles in his first start since being hit in the head with a batted baseball.
Good news for the Rays: DH Luke Scott is making his first start since tweaking his left hamstring on Easter Sunday.
Even better news: Former Ray Kelly Shoppach is not in the Red Sox lineup.
Here are the lineups:
Hellickson 1-0, 0.00
Buchholz 0-0, 15.75