Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
Rays @ BoSox: Decision on Lobaton coming real soon
Posted Apr 14, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 14, 2012 at 02:51 PM
BOSTON The decision on C Jose Lobaton is coming soon, and unless his right shoulder makes a dramatic improvement this afternoon, he will head to the disabled list.
Jose Molina is starting today for the second straight game. Add the two innings he caught at the end of Thursday’s game in Detroit when Lobaton injured his shoulder and that is a heavy workload on his 36-year-old body.
So, the Rays need someone other than Molina to catch Sunday. If Lobaton’s shoulder is not ready, they will have to dip into the minor leagues. Chris Gimenez (groin) is eligible to come off Durham’s disabled list tomorrow, so it would make sense he will be recalled and catch Matt Moore.
RHP Dane De La Rose was recalled last night to replace RHP Josh Lueke in the bullpen. De La Rosa is here because the Rays need someone who can throw a couple of innings this afternoon if RHP Jeremy Hellickson struggles in his first start since being hit in the head with a batted baseball.
Good news for the Rays: DH Luke Scott is making his first start since tweaking his left hamstring on Easter Sunday.
Even better news: Former Ray Kelly Shoppach is not in the Red Sox lineup.
Here are the lineups:
Hellickson 1-0, 0.00
Buchholz 0-0, 15.75