Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yanks: Nova to DL, Teixeira returns, updates on Cobb, Helly, DJ and lineups
- Rays v Yankees: Jennings out with groin injury
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
Rays @ A’s: Wright and bullpen try to win finale
Posted Sep 1, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Sep 1, 2013 at 03:24 PM
OAKLAND – Jamey Wright and a cast of relievers will try to salvage the final game of this three-game series for the Rays.
Joe Maddon said he went with Wright instead of Roberto Hernandez, who was on schedule to start today, because he doesn’t want Hernandez to face all the lefties in the A’s lineup. He figured it would make it a heavy bullpen day if he went with Hernandez.
The A’s are starting four lefties and three switch hitters. Josh Donaldson and Yoenis Cespedes are the only right-handed hitters in the lineup.
If Wright, who hasn’t started since September 2007, and the others get smacked around, Maddon said he will let Hernandez finish the game and take the lumps.
The rotation for the Angels series that begins Monday night in Anaheim is Chris Archer and Matt Moore in the first two games and David Price in Thursday’s finale. Maddon said Hernandez, if he’s not used today, could start Wednesday. Or, it could be Jake Odorizzi or Jeremy Hellickson.
Delmon Young, Josh Lueke, Chris Gimenez were added to the roster today, which is the first day rosters can expand. Luke Scott was activated from the disabled list.
Here are the lineups:
Jamey Wright RHP (202, 2.97)
Griffin RHP (11-9, 3.94)