Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
- Rays @ BoSox: Archer’s first start
Rays @ A’s: Wright and bullpen try to win finale
Posted Sep 1, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Sep 1, 2013 at 03:24 PM
OAKLAND – Jamey Wright and a cast of relievers will try to salvage the final game of this three-game series for the Rays.
Joe Maddon said he went with Wright instead of Roberto Hernandez, who was on schedule to start today, because he doesn’t want Hernandez to face all the lefties in the A’s lineup. He figured it would make it a heavy bullpen day if he went with Hernandez.
The A’s are starting four lefties and three switch hitters. Josh Donaldson and Yoenis Cespedes are the only right-handed hitters in the lineup.
If Wright, who hasn’t started since September 2007, and the others get smacked around, Maddon said he will let Hernandez finish the game and take the lumps.
The rotation for the Angels series that begins Monday night in Anaheim is Chris Archer and Matt Moore in the first two games and David Price in Thursday’s finale. Maddon said Hernandez, if he’s not used today, could start Wednesday. Or, it could be Jake Odorizzi or Jeremy Hellickson.
Delmon Young, Josh Lueke, Chris Gimenez were added to the roster today, which is the first day rosters can expand. Luke Scott was activated from the disabled list.
Here are the lineups:
Jamey Wright RHP (202, 2.97)
Griffin RHP (11-9, 3.94)