Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
Rays @ A’s: Conrad optioned, reliever on the way
Posted Jul 31, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jul 31, 2012 at 07:56 PM
OAKLAND Turns out the Rays did make a move today. Infielder Brooks Conrad was optioned to Triple A Durham and a relief pitcher – Josh Lueke, Brandon Gomes or Dane De La Rosa (the Rays won’t say who) – is flying to Oakland to add a fresh arm to the bullpen.
The Rays are hoping for a long start by James Shields to take pressure off the ’pen, which picked up eight innings in Monday’s 15-inning loss to the A’s.
In rehab news, 3B Evan Longoria is not in the Durham Bulls lineup. He is experiencing soreness not only his left hamstring but all over, a result of not having played for three months. The Bulls are off Thursday and Longoria is expected to return to their lineup Friday, which means he won’t be with the Rays when they begin a three-game series Friday with the Orioles at the Trop.
Here is the Rays lineup for tonight …