Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Rays @ A’s: Conrad optioned, reliever on the way
Posted Jul 31, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jul 31, 2012 at 07:56 PM
OAKLAND Turns out the Rays did make a move today. Infielder Brooks Conrad was optioned to Triple A Durham and a relief pitcher – Josh Lueke, Brandon Gomes or Dane De La Rosa (the Rays won’t say who) – is flying to Oakland to add a fresh arm to the bullpen.
The Rays are hoping for a long start by James Shields to take pressure off the ’pen, which picked up eight innings in Monday’s 15-inning loss to the A’s.
In rehab news, 3B Evan Longoria is not in the Durham Bulls lineup. He is experiencing soreness not only his left hamstring but all over, a result of not having played for three months. The Bulls are off Thursday and Longoria is expected to return to their lineup Friday, which means he won’t be with the Rays when they begin a three-game series Friday with the Orioles at the Trop.
Here is the Rays lineup for tonight …