Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Panini reveals details about Pinnacle basketball
- Rays pick up pitcher in minor league Rule 5 draft
- Land O’ Lakes cross country stars Travis Nichols, Tyler Stahl commit to North Florida
- Beck staying with Longhorns
- Boys Basketball:FABC/Source Hoops Florida State Poll
- No Kloss? It’s baffling
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
Rays @ A’s: All quiet on the trade front
Posted Jul 30, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jul 30, 2012 at 08:59 PM
OAKLAND Rays manager Joe Maddon said there is nothing new to report on the trade front and expects to return to Tampa Bay after Wednesday’s game with the same squad that takes on the A’s tonight.
The James Shields Rumors have tailed off and he said he expects to make his scheduled start Tuesday night, which will begin six hours West Coast time after the trade deadline.
Despite beating the Angels on Sunday, the Rays team batting average dropped to .231, which is the lowest in the major leagues. However, the lead the major leagues in walks. The 1914 Yankees are the only team in baseball history to finish the season last in the majors in batting and first in walks.
The Rays take on the red-hot A’s, winners of 13 of their last 16. David Price goes for his major league-leading 15th win.
Here are the lineups for tonight’s game:
Price LHP (14-4, 2.57)
Griffin RHP (3-0, 2.22)