Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Rays announce Opening Day is sold out
Posted Feb 29, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 29, 2012 at 03:41 PM
PORT CHARLOTTE The Rays announced this morning that scattered single seat tickets remain for the April 6 season-opener against the Yankees at Tropicana Field, and as a result, are declaring the game a sell-out.
“Wonderful,” Rays owner Stuart Sternberg said. “It’s great to be able to do it in February.”
Sternberg said tickets are selling well for the Saturday and Sunday games of the three-game series.
“It’s the weekend. It’s the Yankees. It’s the opening series,” he said. “There will absolutely be a spillover. There’s a good demand on those games.
Single game tickets are on sale at all Ticketmaster outlets, the Rays Tampa Store at 400 N. Tampa St., Tampa, the Gate 1 Tropicana Field Box Office, by phone at 888-FAN-RAYS or 1-800-745-3000 and online at raysbaseball.com.