Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
Rays announce changes to scouting staff
Posted Jan 7, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jan 7, 2013 at 06:50 PM
The Tampa Bay Rays have announced several staffing changes to their International Operations, Pro Scouting and Amateur Scouting departments.
In International Operations, Carlos Rodriguez has been promoted to Director, Latin American Scouting after previously working as a Pro Scout for the Rays. Carlos Alfonso is now Special Assistant, International Operations and will focus primarily on Mexico, Europe and the Pacific Rim. He enters his 48th season in professional baseball and seventh with the Rays.
Bobby Heck has been hired as a Special Assignment Scout. He most recently served as the Assistant General Manager and Director of Scouting for the Houston Astros. Fred Repke has been promoted to Special Assignment Scout after serving as a Regional Supervisor in Amateur Scouting. Jeff McAvoy has also been promoted to Special Assignment Scout after serving as a Pro Scout.
In Amateur Scouting, Chuck Ricci has been hired as the National Crosschecker, having served in the same role for the Cleveland Indians since 2005. Jake Wilson has been promoted to Western Regional Supervisor after previously serving as an Area Supervisor. New Area Supervisors include former Rays minor leaguers Josh Arhart (Southern/Central California) and Ronnie Merrill (Florida). Jack Cressend has been hired as an Amateur Pitching Consultant.
New Pro Scout hires include Mike Brown and Kevin Ibach. Brown has spent time with the Kansas City Royals, New York Mets and Astros organizations, while Ibach previously worked as an area scout for the Miami Marlins.