Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Collect call: 2013 Bowman baseball
- Rays @ O’s: Rays on FOX game of the week
- Seffner Christian’s Hanson picks Liberty
- Current Baseball America prospect list boasts five locals
- Rays @ O’s: Hellickson returns to mound to start trip
- Former Newsome tennis standout, Hersh, named POY
- Bishop McLaughlin sophomore OH Alyssa Mathis commits to San Diego State
- Rays v BoSox: Price looks for 2nd win, Escobar moved to 5th in order
- Area athletes sign and commit to colleges
- Steinbrenner announces athletic signings
- Mitchell P/INF Chris McCormick commits to PHCC
- Three Hudson girls soccer players, including first the Division I scholarship, to sign Friday
- Connors holds serve in autobiography
- Allergies might be behind Price’s poor start
- Holy Names’ Martin picks TCU
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Rays announce changes to scouting staff
Posted Jan 7, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jan 7, 2013 at 06:50 PM
The Tampa Bay Rays have announced several staffing changes to their International Operations, Pro Scouting and Amateur Scouting departments.
In International Operations, Carlos Rodriguez has been promoted to Director, Latin American Scouting after previously working as a Pro Scout for the Rays. Carlos Alfonso is now Special Assistant, International Operations and will focus primarily on Mexico, Europe and the Pacific Rim. He enters his 48th season in professional baseball and seventh with the Rays.
Bobby Heck has been hired as a Special Assignment Scout. He most recently served as the Assistant General Manager and Director of Scouting for the Houston Astros. Fred Repke has been promoted to Special Assignment Scout after serving as a Regional Supervisor in Amateur Scouting. Jeff McAvoy has also been promoted to Special Assignment Scout after serving as a Pro Scout.
In Amateur Scouting, Chuck Ricci has been hired as the National Crosschecker, having served in the same role for the Cleveland Indians since 2005. Jake Wilson has been promoted to Western Regional Supervisor after previously serving as an Area Supervisor. New Area Supervisors include former Rays minor leaguers Josh Arhart (Southern/Central California) and Ronnie Merrill (Florida). Jack Cressend has been hired as an Amateur Pitching Consultant.
New Pro Scout hires include Mike Brown and Kevin Ibach. Brown has spent time with the Kansas City Royals, New York Mets and Astros organizations, while Ibach previously worked as an area scout for the Miami Marlins.