Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
Rays @ Angels: Packed bags and a day off for Upton
Posted Jul 29, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jul 29, 2012 at 03:44 PM
AMAHEIM James Shields’s bags were packed and in front of his locker and that means … it’s getaway day for the Rays, who fly to Oakland after this afternoon’s game.
A lot of bags are packed in the clubhouse.
Not much to report on the trade front. Joe Maddon doesn’t think the Rays will make any moves because they don’t at this time of the season.
Evan Longoria is back in Durham’s lineup today, the soreness in his left hamstring having gone away thanks to Saturday’s day off.
B.J. Upton isn’t in the lineup today. Maddon said with Zack Greinke on the mound for his Angels debut, today is a good day to give Upton some rest. Maddon rested Desmond Jennings and Carlos Peña during this season, though both entered as defensive replacements.
Sam Fuld starts in left field and Desmond Jennings moves over to center.
Jeremy Hellickson, who snapped an 0-6 run with a win during the first game of this road trip, looks to win back-to-back starts since April 19 and 25.
Angels rookie center fielder Mike Trout is not in the lineup because of a leg contusion.
The Rays begin the day three games behind the Angels for the second Wild Card spot and 3 1/2 games behind the Wild Card leading A’s.
Here is the Rays lineup: