Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
Rays @ Angels: Packed bags and a day off for Upton
Posted Jul 29, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jul 29, 2012 at 03:44 PM
AMAHEIM James Shields’s bags were packed and in front of his locker and that means … it’s getaway day for the Rays, who fly to Oakland after this afternoon’s game.
A lot of bags are packed in the clubhouse.
Not much to report on the trade front. Joe Maddon doesn’t think the Rays will make any moves because they don’t at this time of the season.
Evan Longoria is back in Durham’s lineup today, the soreness in his left hamstring having gone away thanks to Saturday’s day off.
B.J. Upton isn’t in the lineup today. Maddon said with Zack Greinke on the mound for his Angels debut, today is a good day to give Upton some rest. Maddon rested Desmond Jennings and Carlos Peña during this season, though both entered as defensive replacements.
Sam Fuld starts in left field and Desmond Jennings moves over to center.
Jeremy Hellickson, who snapped an 0-6 run with a win during the first game of this road trip, looks to win back-to-back starts since April 19 and 25.
Angels rookie center fielder Mike Trout is not in the lineup because of a leg contusion.
The Rays begin the day three games behind the Angels for the second Wild Card spot and 3 1/2 games behind the Wild Card leading A’s.
Here is the Rays lineup: