Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
Rays @ Angels: Packed bags and a day off for Upton
Posted Jul 29, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jul 29, 2012 at 03:44 PM
AMAHEIM James Shields’s bags were packed and in front of his locker and that means … it’s getaway day for the Rays, who fly to Oakland after this afternoon’s game.
A lot of bags are packed in the clubhouse.
Not much to report on the trade front. Joe Maddon doesn’t think the Rays will make any moves because they don’t at this time of the season.
Evan Longoria is back in Durham’s lineup today, the soreness in his left hamstring having gone away thanks to Saturday’s day off.
B.J. Upton isn’t in the lineup today. Maddon said with Zack Greinke on the mound for his Angels debut, today is a good day to give Upton some rest. Maddon rested Desmond Jennings and Carlos Peña during this season, though both entered as defensive replacements.
Sam Fuld starts in left field and Desmond Jennings moves over to center.
Jeremy Hellickson, who snapped an 0-6 run with a win during the first game of this road trip, looks to win back-to-back starts since April 19 and 25.
Angels rookie center fielder Mike Trout is not in the lineup because of a leg contusion.
The Rays begin the day three games behind the Angels for the second Wild Card spot and 3 1/2 games behind the Wild Card leading A’s.
Here is the Rays lineup: