Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yankees: Moore looks for 9th, Hernandez staying put, Price update
- Rays v Yankees: Rodney remains the closer, Jennings off, Joyce back
- Gausman is Bowman’s No. 3 redemption card
- Topps previews baseball Update series
- Panini’s Prime Hockey will have extra treat
- Rays juggle rotation to get Cobb a start this weekend against Yankees
- Beckett opens weekly Wednesday chat room on Facebook page
- Rays @ Jays: Joyce update, Longo DH, Molina returns
- NFL Network report on Revis is revealing
- In The Game acquires Sport Kings LP
- Pasco WR Nate Craig (2016) up to 15 Division I offers
- Tampa Bay softball players honored by FACA
- Western Conference Baseball Teams
- Pasco baseball players Blaine Duncan, Matt Plourde headed to Barry, Daytona State respectively
- Maddon changes stance on Escobar’s home run guesture
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Rays @ Angels: Moore v Wilson, rematch of 2011 ALDS Game 1
Posted Jul 28, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jul 28, 2012 at 06:48 PM
ANAHEIM The Rays look to gain some ground in the AL Wild Card standings tonight against the Angels at Angel Stadium.
Matt Moore, who retired the final 17 batters he faced during his previous start Sunday against the Mariners, faces C.J. Wilson in a rematch of Game 1 of last year’s ALDS between the Rays and Rangers.
Wilson, the biggest name among the free agent pitchers last winter, is 9-6 with a 2.89 ERA. Moore is 6-7 with a 4.23 ERA.
Carlos Peña won’t start against Wilson.
Desmond Jennings returns to the lineup and is followed by B.J. Upton. The two are a combined 1-for-24 against Wilson.
The Rays begin the night 3 ½ games behind the AL Wild Card-leading Angels.
Here is the Rays lineup: