Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Rays @ Angels: Moore v Wilson, rematch of 2011 ALDS Game 1
Posted Jul 28, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jul 28, 2012 at 06:48 PM
ANAHEIM The Rays look to gain some ground in the AL Wild Card standings tonight against the Angels at Angel Stadium.
Matt Moore, who retired the final 17 batters he faced during his previous start Sunday against the Mariners, faces C.J. Wilson in a rematch of Game 1 of last year’s ALDS between the Rays and Rangers.
Wilson, the biggest name among the free agent pitchers last winter, is 9-6 with a 2.89 ERA. Moore is 6-7 with a 4.23 ERA.
Carlos Peña won’t start against Wilson.
Desmond Jennings returns to the lineup and is followed by B.J. Upton. The two are a combined 1-for-24 against Wilson.
The Rays begin the night 3 ½ games behind the AL Wild Card-leading Angels.
Here is the Rays lineup: