Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
- Boys Basketball: Jean, Ingram make 7A All-State Team
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Aaron auto is mystery redemption card No. 1 for 2014 Topps Tribute
- Bishop McLaughlin names assistant Craig Moore as its head football coach
Rays acquire OF Francisco from Astros
Posted Aug 31, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Aug 31, 2012 at 09:24 PM
TORONTO The Rays acquired outfielder Ben Francisco tonight from the Astros in exchange for a player to be named later.
Francisco will join the team in time for Saturday afternoon’s game. He will be added to the 40-man roster tonight to make him eligible for the postseason roster.
Francisco, 30, is mainly a corner outfielder but can also play center field.
He split this season between Toronto and Houston, batting .244 with a .296 on-base percentage and a .370 slugging percentage.
He has a .258 career batting average during his six years in the big leagues with a .328 on-base percentage and .425 slugging percentage. For his career he has 47 home runs and 181 RBIs.