Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
Rays acquire OF Francisco from Astros
Posted Aug 31, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Aug 31, 2012 at 09:24 PM
TORONTO The Rays acquired outfielder Ben Francisco tonight from the Astros in exchange for a player to be named later.
Francisco will join the team in time for Saturday afternoon’s game. He will be added to the 40-man roster tonight to make him eligible for the postseason roster.
Francisco, 30, is mainly a corner outfielder but can also play center field.
He split this season between Toronto and Houston, batting .244 with a .296 on-base percentage and a .370 slugging percentage.
He has a .258 career batting average during his six years in the big leagues with a .328 on-base percentage and .425 slugging percentage. For his career he has 47 home runs and 181 RBIs.