Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
- Rays @ BoSox: Archer’s first start
Random postgame notes
Posted Jul 6, 2008 by Marc Lancaster
Updated Jul 6, 2008 at 05:37 PM
* According to my old pal Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com the Indians and Brewers have agreed upon a trade that will send C.C. Sabathia to Milwaukee for three prospects led by former Gators star Matt LaPorta. No surprise there, as the Brewers have been rumored to be leading the hunt for Sabathia for a while now.
* Word from the Rays this afternoon is that Vero Beach outfielder Desmond Jennings will undergo shoulder surgery Wednesday. Jennings, you may recall, hurt first his back and then his shoulder in spring training. He had returned to play 24 games for Vero, hitting .259 and posting a .360 OBP, but this procedure likely will end his season. Baseball America rated Jennings the Rays’ sixth-best prospect entering the year and had him 59th in their overall Top 100.
* In Cincinnati, Tampa’s own Elijah Dukes spoke to reporters earlier today after suffering a serious knee injury last night that led to him being carted off the field. Apparently the former Ray will be out 4-6 weeks.
* In New York, Johnny Damon has been placed on the 15-day DL as expected, so the Rays could conceivably see an outfield that includes both Brett Gardner and Justin Christian when they hit the Bronx in a couple days.