Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
Ramos to pitch for Mexico in WBC
Posted Feb 20, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 20, 2013 at 11:07 AM
PORT CHARLOTTE Rays left-hander Cesar Ramos has been added to Mexico’s roster for next month’s World Baseball Classic.
This brings the total of Rays headed to the tournament to four as Ramos joins utility fielder Ben Zobrist (USA), closer Fernando Rodney (Dominican) and catcher Jose Molina (Puerto Rico).
Pitcher Joel Peralta withdrew from the Dominican team last weekend.
Ramos’s parents, Ramon and Maria, emigrated from Chihuahua, Mexico 33 years ago to Southern California.
All four players will leave the Rays by March 1 for the training camps of their respective teams.
The Dominican opens pool play March 7 against Venezuela in Puerto Rico.
Puerto Rico begins pool play March 8 against Spain.
Mexico and the USA meet in the first game of pool play March 8 in Phoenix.