Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Gausman is Bowman’s No. 3 redemption card
- Topps previews baseball Update series
- Panini’s Prime Hockey will have extra treat
- Rays juggle rotation to get Cobb a start this weekend against Yankees
- Beckett opens weekly Wednesday chat room on Facebook page
- Rays @ Jays: Joyce update, Longo DH, Molina returns
- NFL Network report on Revis is revealing
- In The Game acquires Sport Kings LP
- Pasco WR Nate Craig (2016) up to 15 Division I offers
- Tampa Bay softball players honored by FACA
- Western Conference Baseball Teams
- Pasco baseball players Blaine Duncan, Matt Plourde headed to Barry, Daytona State respectively
- Maddon changes stance on Escobar’s home run guesture
- Panini previews Rookies & Stars football
- A peek at Panini’s 2013 Cooperstown Collection
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Ramos, Gimenez, Brignac and Thompson to rejoin team Saturday
Posted Aug 31, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Aug 31, 2012 at 12:02 AM
TORONTO The first wave of Rays call-ups will be LHP Cesar Ramos, OF Rich Thompson, INF Reid Brignac and C Chris Gimenez.
The four will join the team today in Toronto and will be activated Saturday, the first day rosters can expand.
Ramos will provide depth for the bullpen and give the Rays a long man, something they haven’t had since, well, when Ramos was sent down on July 22.
Ramos joined the rotation when he returned to Durham. The move was made after he pitched four innings of shutout ball against the Mariners on July 21 after replacing Alex Cobb, who left the game after taking a line drove off his shin in the second inning. Ramos allowed two hits and struck out six in that outing.
Thompson, who went seven years before big league appearances and recorded his first big league hit May 17, will give them a speed option on the bench.
Gimenez gives the Rays a third catcher, which will help with late-game moves.
Brignac is back to add depth to the infield.
That spot would have gone to Sean Rodriguez had Rodriguez not broken a bone in his right hand punching a locker last Sunday during an argument with one of his Durham Bulls teammates.
Brignac was sent down April 21 to make room for OF/DH Brandon Allen, who was since designated for assignment, resigned and sent to Durham then traded to a team in the Japanese league.
After a slow start, Brignac raised his average to .233. He had eight home runs and 46 RBI.