Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Purge Begins At One Buc
Posted Jun 19, 2008 by Roy Cummings
Updated Jun 19, 2008 at 04:00 PM
TAMPA - The purge of players at One Buc Place has already begun.
In an effort to pare their roster to the league-mandated training camp limit of 80, the Bucs began cutting players on Friday. Among the first to be let go was Patrick Churkwurah, a backup defensive lineman/linebacker and Marquis Gunn, a reserve defensive lineman.
More may be let go before the day is out, including Chris Simms. Simms has asked for his released and it’s quite possible he’ll be among the 11 or so players the Bucs release in order to meet the league’s roster limit.
Chukwurah missed seven games because of a shoulder injury last year but still managed to finish among the top ten on the team in special teams tackles.
His fate may have been sealed by the signing this offseason of fellow defensive linemen Marques Douglas and Jimmy Wilkerson.