Most Recent Entries
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
Purge Begins At One Buc
Posted Jun 19, 2008 by Roy Cummings
Updated Jun 19, 2008 at 04:00 PM
TAMPA - The purge of players at One Buc Place has already begun.
In an effort to pare their roster to the league-mandated training camp limit of 80, the Bucs began cutting players on Friday. Among the first to be let go was Patrick Churkwurah, a backup defensive lineman/linebacker and Marquis Gunn, a reserve defensive lineman.
More may be let go before the day is out, including Chris Simms. Simms has asked for his released and it’s quite possible he’ll be among the 11 or so players the Bucs release in order to meet the league’s roster limit.
Chukwurah missed seven games because of a shoulder injury last year but still managed to finish among the top ten on the team in special teams tackles.
His fate may have been sealed by the signing this offseason of fellow defensive linemen Marques Douglas and Jimmy Wilkerson.