Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
Price wins Players Choice AL Most Outstanding Pitcher
Posted Nov 5, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Nov 5, 2012 at 09:27 PM
TBO photo by CHRIS URSO
The players have spoken and they really like David Price … again.
For the second time in three years, the Rays left-hander was the voted the American League’s Most Outstanding Pitcher during the Players Choice Awards. The award was announced Monday night on the MLB Network.
Price, who also won the award in 2010, was 20-5 this past season with a 2.56 ERA. The ERA led the AL and his wins were tied for the most with Jered Weaver of the Los Angeles Angels.
Price was picked over the other two finalists – Weaver and Chris Sale of the Chicago White Sox.
Detroit’s Justin Verlander, who figures to be Price’s biggest opponent in the AL Cy Young Award voting, was not among the top-three vote getters.
The finalists for the Cy Young Award will be announced at 6 p.m. Wednesday on the MLB Network, and the award will be announced at 6 p.m. on Nov. 14 on the MLB Network.
The Cy Young Award is voted on by members of the Baseball Writers’ Association of America.