Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
Price promoted to Durham
Posted Aug 10, 2008 by Marc Lancaster
Updated Aug 9, 2008 at 11:36 PM
SEATTLE—David Price was told after Montgomery’s game tonight that he has been promoted to Durham.
Last year’s top draft pick will make his Triple-A debut for the Bulls on Wednesday against Norfolk.
He went 7-0 with a 1.89 ERA in nine starts for the Biscuits after going 4-0 with a 1.82 ERA in six starts for Vero Beach to open his first professional season.
Price likely will be called up to the majors at some point this season, with the only question being whether the Rays will use him as a starter or in relief, a la Joba Chamberlain. But he’ll at least have a chance to sample three levels of the minors before getting to that point…and maybe even lose a game someday. You never know…
Updating with some related news courtesy of the Montgomery Advertiser’s Stacy Long: Heath Rollins has been promoted from Vero to take Price’s spot in the Biscuits’ rotation. Rollins was 5-11 but had a 3.30 ERA for Vero, walking just 27 while striking out 115 in 136 1/3 innings.