Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Seffner Christian’s Hanson picks Liberty
- Current Baseball America prospect list boasts five locals
- Rays @ O’s: Hellickson returns to mound to start trip
- Former Newsome tennis standout, Hersh, named POY
- Bishop McLaughlin sophomore OH Alyssa Mathis commits to San Diego State
- Rays v BoSox: Price looks for 2nd win, Escobar moved to 5th in order
- Area athletes sign and commit to colleges
- Steinbrenner announces athletic signings
- Mitchell P/INF Chris McCormick commits to PHCC
- Three Hudson girls soccer players, including first the Division I scholarship, to sign Friday
- Connors holds serve in autobiography
- Allergies might be behind Price’s poor start
- Holy Names’ Martin picks TCU
- Rays v BoSox: Jennings returns, Rays looking for 6th straight W
- CDS’ Lewis signs with Kentucky Christian
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Price loses battle with towel, hurts neck
Posted Mar 8, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Mar 8, 2012 at 05:47 PM
PORT CHARLOTTE David Price injured his neck while toweling off his head after the second inning of Thursday’s game with the Tigers.
Yes, you read that right.
While toweling off his head the Rays left-handed pitcher hurt his neck.
What’s more, it was the third time Price suffered the injury since last spring training.
“I was drying my head off after the second inning. It’s happened to me two times before. I catch the back of my head and it pulls my head forward,” Price said. “I felt it in the back of my neck.”
Said manager Joe Maddon: “David might need better technique when it comes to toweling himself down. He’s been doing it for 26 years now. Apparently he doesn’t have it down yet.”
Price was supposed to pitch three innings but left after two with what was termed “minor neck spasms.”
“It was spasming,” he said. “There was a little pop and it spasmed up. It gets a little tight. I’ll be all right.”
Price said he does not believe the injury will force him off his pitching schedule.
“No, I don’t think so,” he said. “The last ones that I’ve had lasted two or three days. I’ll be all right.”
Other than the injury, Price said he was pleased with his day.
He allowed three hits, walked a batter and struck out one. He also pitched himself out of a second and third, one-out situation in the first inning.