Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson picks up 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
Price leaves game in 8th inning with apparent back injury
Posted Jun 29, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jun 29, 2012 at 09:35 PM
ST. PETERSBURG David Price left tonight’s game before the start of the eighth inning because of an apparent injury.
Sun Sports immediately showed a clip of Price sitting in the dugout with what appeared to be a heat pad on his back.
With the Rays leading the Tigers 4-2, Price went out to take his warm-up pitches, but assistant athletic trainer Paul Harker quickly went to the mound. Pitching coach Jim Hickey and manager Joe Maddon soon followed.
After a brief discussion, Price walked off the field, and Jake McGee was called in from the bullpen.
Price allowed two runs on five hits and one walk in his seven innings. He struck out seven. He had thrown only 78 pitches.
We’ll have more on this when the information becomes available.