Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Price leaves game in 8th inning with apparent back injury
Posted Jun 29, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jun 29, 2012 at 09:35 PM
ST. PETERSBURG David Price left tonight’s game before the start of the eighth inning because of an apparent injury.
Sun Sports immediately showed a clip of Price sitting in the dugout with what appeared to be a heat pad on his back.
With the Rays leading the Tigers 4-2, Price went out to take his warm-up pitches, but assistant athletic trainer Paul Harker quickly went to the mound. Pitching coach Jim Hickey and manager Joe Maddon soon followed.
After a brief discussion, Price walked off the field, and Jake McGee was called in from the bullpen.
Price allowed two runs on five hits and one walk in his seven innings. He struck out seven. He had thrown only 78 pitches.
We’ll have more on this when the information becomes available.