Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Panini goes on a basketball Crusade
- Sunlake’s Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers’ 2014 Mr. Soccer
- Rays v Twins: Injury updates and lineups
- Novel explores temptations, ramifications of steroid use
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
Price dazzles vs. A-Rod, Yanks
Posted May 17, 2008 by Marc Lancaster
Updated May 17, 2008 at 11:36 AM
ST. LOUIS—Alex Rodriguez got in his shot at David Price in five at-bats at the Naimoli Complex this morning, hitting a home run off the young lefty in an extended spring training game.
But that was about the extent of Price’s struggles. The first overall pick in last year’s draft threw 71 pitches over five innings, allowing four hits and two runs. He walked one batter—A-Rod—and struck out 10. Translation: two-thirds of the outs he recorded came on whiffs.
A-Rod led off all five innings, a common practice for rehabbers in extended spring games, and went 1-for-4 with the walk, the homer and a pair of strikeouts. He was the last batter to face Price, striking out to end the fifth.
Price is expected to make the first official start of his professional career Thursday for Vero Beach at home against Clearwater.