Most Recent Entries
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
Prep football recruiting roundup
Posted May 12, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated May 18, 2012 at 03:37 PM
Here’s a look at some of this week’s prep football recruiting activity in Hillsborough County:
Hillsborough: Rising senior Nigel Harris (6-2, 200 lbs.), who played everything from linebacker to running back to receiver to punter last season, received his first Big 10 offer Saturday: Indiana.
Jesuit: The Tigers’ campus has been a hotbed of recruiting activity this week, coach James Harrell says. Colgate has made offers to rising senior defensive linemen Robby Garcia (6-4, 245 lbs.) and Brad Smith (6-4, 220), as well as to linebacker Parker Clonts (5-11, 165). Rising senior offensive lineman Cameron Ruff (6-4, 277 lbs.) added the University of Connecticut to his list. We’re starting to lose count on the offers for OLB/TE Vincent Jackson. In the past week, he got pitches from Auburn, Ole Miss, Minnesota, Oregon, Michigan State and Ohio State. Rivals.com lists 25 offers for Jackson.
Plant: The Panthers star offensive lineman Richy Klepal (6-5, 285 lbs.) landed two more big offers this week, coach Robert Weiner said, from Miami and South Carolina. He is close to two dozens offers, including South Florida and Florida State. The Gators are supposedly interested but lately, they’ve been rather methodical about when they make their pitches.
Tampa Catholic: Rising senior wide receiver Zach Benjamin (6-5, 190 lbs.), aka “Big Bird,” received several offers this week, including Colgate, Air Force, Toledo and the University of Massachusetts.
Wharton: Rising senior defensive back/wide receiver Vernon Hargreaves (5-11, 185 lbs.) got his 39th offer this week, from Michigan State. He’s rated as the No. 1 DB in the nation by ESPN.