Most Recent Entries
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
Plant’s Harrison, Sunlake’s Smith honored by NFHS
Posted Feb 26, 2013 by Nick Williams
Updated Feb 26, 2013 at 05:52 PM
Plant girls cross country coach Roy Harrison and Sunlake boys weightlifting coach Matt Smith were recently recognized by the National Federation of State High School Associations.
Harrison was named the 2011-2012 NFHS Section 3 and Florida girls country Coach of the Year while Smith was named Florida’s Coach of the Year for boys weightlifting.
Section 3 consists of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, North and South Carolina and Florida.
Harrison, who has coached at Plant for 30 years, was one of four Florida coaches chosen as the best Section 3. Other sports were girls volleyball, girls soccer and wrestling.
Harrison led the Panthers to their 26th consecutive state championships in November, where the team finished second in Class 4A to St. Thomas Aquinas. The team won its 17th regional championship last season and third in a row. The program has won 10 state titles overall.
Smith was named the sports NFHS’s Florida’s Coach of the Year after leading Sunlake to a fifth-place finish in the Class 2A boys weightlifting last season.