Most Recent Entries
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson picks up 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
Plant’s Harrison, Sunlake’s Smith honored by NFHS
Posted Feb 26, 2013 by Nick Williams
Updated Feb 26, 2013 at 05:52 PM
Plant girls cross country coach Roy Harrison and Sunlake boys weightlifting coach Matt Smith were recently recognized by the National Federation of State High School Associations.
Harrison was named the 2011-2012 NFHS Section 3 and Florida girls country Coach of the Year while Smith was named Florida’s Coach of the Year for boys weightlifting.
Section 3 consists of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, North and South Carolina and Florida.
Harrison, who has coached at Plant for 30 years, was one of four Florida coaches chosen as the best Section 3. Other sports were girls volleyball, girls soccer and wrestling.
Harrison led the Panthers to their 26th consecutive state championships in November, where the team finished second in Class 4A to St. Thomas Aquinas. The team won its 17th regional championship last season and third in a row. The program has won 10 state titles overall.
Smith was named the sports NFHS’s Florida’s Coach of the Year after leading Sunlake to a fifth-place finish in the Class 2A boys weightlifting last season.