- Men’s Roster
- Women’s Roster
- Men’s Schedule/Results
- Women’s Schedule/Results
- Men’s Statistics
- Big East Standings
- Live Scoreboard
Most Recent Entries
- Panini reveals details about Pinnacle basketball
- Rays pick up pitcher in minor league Rule 5 draft
- Land O’ Lakes cross country stars Travis Nichols, Tyler Stahl commit to North Florida
- Beck staying with Longhorns
- Boys Basketball:FABC/Source Hoops Florida State Poll
- No Kloss? It’s baffling
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
RB Plancher works with first unit; UCF series has (phone) sex appeal
Posted Sep 1, 2008 by Brett McMurphy
Updated Sep 1, 2008 at 10:41 PM
With University of South Florida RBs Ben Williams and Mike Ford slowed at Monday’s practice with ankle injuries, junior Moise Plancher worked with the first-team offense.
Plancher started the season opener in 2006, only to suffer a torn ACL on the first series. Last week he was fifth on the depth chart, but rushed for 65 yards and two TDs against Tennessee Martin.
“Mo did enough to deserve reps anyway, he’s earned the right to get reps,” USF coach Jim Leavitt said. “How much [RB coach] Carl [Franks] plays him [Saturday at UCF], I don’t know.”
Leavitt said last week Plancher was actually playing better than he was when he won the starting job as a freshman in 2006.
Ford, who wore a protective boot on his left foot Monday, and Williams both hurt their ankles Saturday.
Sophomore back-up TE Trent Pupello (ankle), also hurt Saturday, was on crutches Monday and Leavitt said he didn’t know if he would be available. Freshman DL Cory Grissom (ankle) is not expected to play at UCF, Leavitt said.
“If they’re not 100 percent they won’t play,” Leavitt said. “We won’t have a chance against Central Florida if we don’t have guys going 100 miles an hour.”
NO, WHAT ARE YOU WEARING? UCF scheduled a media conference call with Coach George O’Leary Monday. However, the 800-number provided by a UCF official mistakenly had one digit wrong. Instead of getting O’Leary’s conference call, media members instead got a phone sex line.
“Hi sexy, you’ve reached the one-on-one fantasy line. Where the girls are … ” the recording said. A woman that answered said this was not the number for O’Leary’s conference call, but told me she would pretend to be George O’Leary if I really wanted. I told her no thanks.
UCF rescheduled the call for Wednesday.
ODDS AND ENDS: Senior OT Ryan Schmidt (knee), who left Saturday’s game, practiced Monday. … Leavitt said he thinks freshman CB George Baker will get academic approval from the NCAA Clearinghouse today. Baker, though, will be redshirted this season. … Freshman LB Quavon Taylor, who was suspended a week for missing team meetings and a practice last week, returned to practice Monday. … Freshman DB Charlton Sinclair asked a teammate during Monday’s practice: “Are we flying or driving to Orlando?” The Bulls will drive. ... USF volleyball player Marcela Gurgel, a junior outside hitter, was named the Big East’s player of the week Monday.