Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Pitchers meet and other pregame notes
Posted May 17, 2009 by Marc Lancaster
Updated May 17, 2009 at 12:57 PM
* Joe Maddon and Jim Hickey met with the Rays’ starting rotation for at least a half-hour earlier today. Maddon described it as a “pep talk” featuring an exchange of thoughts all the way around. Andy Sonnanstine didn’t stick around for the whole thing, as he had to go sit down with Michel Hernandez and go over the Indians’ hitters, but the other four starters spent quite a bit of quality time in Maddon’s office.
“I just wanted to go over some things with them,” Maddon said. “It was a nice conversation, it was a nice give-and-take; that’s what I had planned on. I just wanted them to feel comfortable with everything and let them know that I have all the confidence in the world in all of them.”
* Pat Burrell is here, two days after getting a cortisone shot in his neck, but Maddon hadn’t talked to him yet (they were scheduled to sit down at 1:00) so he doesn’t know what will come next. We’re hoping for a postgame update on that front, but you never know.