Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Pitchers and catchers begin 1st workout of the spring
Posted Feb 13, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 13, 2013 at 09:06 AM
PORT CHARLOTTE The Rays officially begin spring training this morning when the pitchers and catchers take part in the first workout of camp.
Of the 35 pitchers invited, 27 worked out Tuesday. All seven catchers reported early to camp, as well.
It’s a cloudy morning at the Charlotte Sports Complex and that could send the group indoors.
Scheduled to throw bullpens today are David Price, Jeff Niemann, Brandon Gomes and Kyle Farnsworth.