Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Panini goes on a basketball Crusade
- Sunlake’s Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers’ 2014 Mr. Soccer
- Rays v Twins: Injury updates and lineups
- Novel explores temptations, ramifications of steroid use
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
Pitchers and catchers begin 1st workout of the spring
Posted Feb 13, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 13, 2013 at 09:06 AM
PORT CHARLOTTE The Rays officially begin spring training this morning when the pitchers and catchers take part in the first workout of camp.
Of the 35 pitchers invited, 27 worked out Tuesday. All seven catchers reported early to camp, as well.
It’s a cloudy morning at the Charlotte Sports Complex and that could send the group indoors.
Scheduled to throw bullpens today are David Price, Jeff Niemann, Brandon Gomes and Kyle Farnsworth.