- Men’s Roster
- Women’s Roster
- Men’s Schedule/Results
- Women’s Schedule/Results
- Men’s Statistics
- Big East Standings
- Live Scoreboard
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yankees: Rodney remains the closer, Jennings off, Joyce back
- Gausman is Bowman’s No. 3 redemption card
- Topps previews baseball Update series
- Panini’s Prime Hockey will have extra treat
- Rays juggle rotation to get Cobb a start this weekend against Yankees
- Beckett opens weekly Wednesday chat room on Facebook page
- Rays @ Jays: Joyce update, Longo DH, Molina returns
- NFL Network report on Revis is revealing
- In The Game acquires Sport Kings LP
- Pasco WR Nate Craig (2016) up to 15 Division I offers
- Tampa Bay softball players honored by FACA
- Western Conference Baseball Teams
- Pasco baseball players Blaine Duncan, Matt Plourde headed to Barry, Daytona State respectively
- Maddon changes stance on Escobar’s home run guesture
- Panini previews Rookies & Stars football
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Pierre-Paul or Tebow? Mel Kiper Says ...
Posted Jan 21, 2010 by Scott Carter
Updated Jan 21, 2010 at 01:26 AM
Imagine for a second that you are Wayne Weaver, owner of the NFL’s Jacksonville Jaguars.
Your franchise has lost its luster. On most Sundays at home, the stadium is half-empty. There is talk that one day your team could be called the Los Angeles Jaguars.
However, in a couple of months, the NFL Draft will provide a temptation that could be hard to resist. Perhaps the most valuable player in franchise history—a left-handed quarterback named Mark Brunell—is now putting off retirement by serving as Drew Brees’ back-up in New Orleans.
However, with the 11th pick in the draft, another left-handed QB should be available if you’re dreaming of rebooting your franchise with another unlikely leader the way you did 15 years ago with Brunell.
Oh, and there is a bonus: Tim Tebow happens to be from Jacksonville, which would likely send season-ticket sales rocketing.
Only problem is that most draft experts would call you crazy for picking Tebow so high.
In fact, ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. had this to say about your 11th pick in the draft: “This is no place to draft a guy like Tim Tebow just to sell tickets.’‘
Who does Kiper have you picking? Jason Pierre-Paul.
Click here to read Kiper’s first mock draft of the year.
As for Pierre-Paul, the former USF defensive end who was virtually unknown nationally a year ago at this time, he might not sell as many tickets as Tebow, but Kiper believes he would be the better player.
In fact, Pierre-Paul is a virtual lock barring an injury during pre-draft workout season to become USF’s highest-draft player in school history.
Former USF defensive back Mike Jenkins, selected with the 25th overall pick by Dallas in 2008, currently holds that distinction.
Who will be USF’s highest-drafted player after Pierre-Paul this season?