- Men’s Roster
- Women’s Roster
- Men’s Schedule/Results
- Women’s Schedule/Results
- Men’s Statistics
- Big East Standings
- Live Scoreboard
Most Recent Entries
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
- Maddux, Glavine, Thomas highlight newcomers on Hall of Fame ballot
- Glennon finalist for rookie award for second straight week
Pierre-Paul or Tebow? Mel Kiper Says ...
Posted Jan 21, 2010 by Scott Carter
Updated Jan 21, 2010 at 01:26 AM
Imagine for a second that you are Wayne Weaver, owner of the NFL’s Jacksonville Jaguars.
Your franchise has lost its luster. On most Sundays at home, the stadium is half-empty. There is talk that one day your team could be called the Los Angeles Jaguars.
However, in a couple of months, the NFL Draft will provide a temptation that could be hard to resist. Perhaps the most valuable player in franchise history—a left-handed quarterback named Mark Brunell—is now putting off retirement by serving as Drew Brees’ back-up in New Orleans.
However, with the 11th pick in the draft, another left-handed QB should be available if you’re dreaming of rebooting your franchise with another unlikely leader the way you did 15 years ago with Brunell.
Oh, and there is a bonus: Tim Tebow happens to be from Jacksonville, which would likely send season-ticket sales rocketing.
Only problem is that most draft experts would call you crazy for picking Tebow so high.
In fact, ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. had this to say about your 11th pick in the draft: “This is no place to draft a guy like Tim Tebow just to sell tickets.’‘
Who does Kiper have you picking? Jason Pierre-Paul.
Click here to read Kiper’s first mock draft of the year.
As for Pierre-Paul, the former USF defensive end who was virtually unknown nationally a year ago at this time, he might not sell as many tickets as Tebow, but Kiper believes he would be the better player.
In fact, Pierre-Paul is a virtual lock barring an injury during pre-draft workout season to become USF’s highest-draft player in school history.
Former USF defensive back Mike Jenkins, selected with the 25th overall pick by Dallas in 2008, currently holds that distinction.
Who will be USF’s highest-drafted player after Pierre-Paul this season?