Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
Peralta, Rodney, Molina also headed to WBC
Posted Jan 17, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jan 17, 2013 at 06:00 PM
Ben Zobrist won’t be the only Ray leaving spring training camp early for the World Baseball Classic.
Relievers Fernando Rodney and Joel Peralta, catcher Jose Molina and minor league infielder Leonardo Reginatto are also on WBC rosters announced Thursday.
Rodney and Peralta will pitch for the Dominican Republic.
Molina will play for Puerto Rico, where he will serve as the backup to his brother, Yadier.
Reginatto, who played last season at Hudson Valley, will play for Brazil.
Zobrist was named to the Team USA squad.
The WBC begins March 2, though the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico face each other March 7 in the first game of their pool play. USA opens March 8 against Mexico.