Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Panini goes on a basketball Crusade
- Sunlake’s Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers’ 2014 Mr. Soccer
- Rays v Twins: Injury updates and lineups
- Novel explores temptations, ramifications of steroid use
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
Pena named AL Player of the Week
Posted Sep 22, 2008 by Marc Lancaster
Updated Sep 22, 2008 at 02:53 PM
BALTIMORE—Greetings from Camden Yards, where we’ve got a bit of news in the hours before David Price’s first major-league start.
Carlos Pena has been named the American League Player of the Week after hitting .368 with two doubles, three homers and 11 RBIs last week while posting a nifty .500 on-base percentage.
This is the second Player of the Week honor for Pena, who also earned those accolades the final week of the season last year. He’ll get a “luxury Swiss Torneau timepiece” in recognition of his achievement.
Pena is the third Rays player to be so honored this year. Evan Longoria (week ending June 29) and James Shields (April 28) previously earned Player of the Week recognition.