Most Recent Entries
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
- Maddux, Glavine, Thomas highlight newcomers on Hall of Fame ballot
Panthers get their state title rings
Posted May 21, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated May 21, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Members of Plant’s 2011 Class 8A state championship football team received their long-awaited title rings Saturday night. The Panthers’ ring ceremony was staged at halftime of the school’s annual Black & Gold intra-squad scrimmage at Dad’s Stadium.
Head coach Robert Weiner presented the rings by calling out all the names of the players from the squad that knocked off nationally-ranked Miramar High last season in Orlando’s Citrus Bowl.
This is the fourth championship ring the Panthers’ football program has produced in the past six seasons. Each time, Weiner has been the ring’s chief designer. The 2011 rings feature a football helmet bordered by five stones. The four black stones in the corners of the ring represent the four state championships Plant has captured since its first in 2006.
Plant defeated Ponte Vedra Beach Nease 25-21 in Miami’s Dolphins Stadium for the 2006 Class 4A state championship, Tallahassee Lincoln 34-14 in Orlando for the 2008 Class 4A state title, Manatee 21-14 in Orlando for the 2009 championship and, last December in the Citrus Bowl, Miramar 31-20.