Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Panthers get their state title rings
Posted May 21, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated May 21, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Members of Plant’s 2011 Class 8A state championship football team received their long-awaited title rings Saturday night. The Panthers’ ring ceremony was staged at halftime of the school’s annual Black & Gold intra-squad scrimmage at Dad’s Stadium.
Head coach Robert Weiner presented the rings by calling out all the names of the players from the squad that knocked off nationally-ranked Miramar High last season in Orlando’s Citrus Bowl.
This is the fourth championship ring the Panthers’ football program has produced in the past six seasons. Each time, Weiner has been the ring’s chief designer. The 2011 rings feature a football helmet bordered by five stones. The four black stones in the corners of the ring represent the four state championships Plant has captured since its first in 2006.
Plant defeated Ponte Vedra Beach Nease 25-21 in Miami’s Dolphins Stadium for the 2006 Class 4A state championship, Tallahassee Lincoln 34-14 in Orlando for the 2008 Class 4A state title, Manatee 21-14 in Orlando for the 2009 championship and, last December in the Citrus Bowl, Miramar 31-20.