Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- Stargell stands tall in biography
- Profar is second Bowman redemption card
- Rays @ Jays: Victoria Day matinee
- Green seeking funds for trip
- Area Athletes Shine at Golden South Classic
- Rays @ O’s: Moore looking to go 8-0, Rays looking for sweep
- Collect call: 2013 Bowman baseball
- Rays @ O’s: Rays on FOX game of the week
- Seffner Christian’s Hanson picks Liberty
- Current Baseball America prospect list boasts five locals
- Rays @ O’s: Hellickson returns to mound to start trip
- Former Newsome tennis standout, Hersh, named POY
- Bishop McLaughlin sophomore OH Alyssa Mathis commits to San Diego State
- Rays v BoSox: Price looks for 2nd win, Escobar moved to 5th in order
- Area athletes sign and commit to colleges
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Panini’s Black Friday cards: An early look
Posted Nov 6, 2012 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Mar 27, 2013 at 10:03 PM
“When Black Friday comes I’m gonna stake my claim. …”
Those words from “Black Friday,” off Steely Dan’s 1975 album “Katy Lied,” seem appropriate for Panini America’s after Thanksgiving promotion.
Panini put out a teaser release today, touting its 50-card base set that will be released on Black Friday, Nov. 23 — the day after Thanksgiving. Avid collectors will be sure to stake their claim that day.
Black Friday is a 50-card base set featuring players from all four major North American sports, including 27 rookie cards numbered to 599.
There also will be a 20-card Panini Collection insert, which will debut Panini’s HD+ technology.
Other inserts will include a 20 card Kings insert. These cards will feature painted images of legends and top rookies from all four sports: baseball (Diamond Kings), football (Gridiron Kings), basketball (Court Kings) and hockey (Ice Kings).
And finally, there will be a six-card Thanksgiving Classic insert, featuring key players that will play on Thanksgiving Day.
Look for Bucs running back Doug Martin to be included in the set, along with other top rookies like Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III. Some of the painted cards I saw included Hall of Fame third baseman George Brett, Chris Kreider of the New York Rangers and Luck, the Indianapolis Colts’ quarterback. And of course, Panini’s big gun, Lakers star Kobe Bryant, will be included in the set.
It’s a fun way to kick off the Christmas season.