Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson picks up 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
Panini’s Black Friday cards: An early look
Posted Nov 6, 2012 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Mar 27, 2013 at 10:03 PM
“When Black Friday comes I’m gonna stake my claim. …”
Those words from “Black Friday,” off Steely Dan’s 1975 album “Katy Lied,” seem appropriate for Panini America’s after Thanksgiving promotion.
Panini put out a teaser release today, touting its 50-card base set that will be released on Black Friday, Nov. 23 — the day after Thanksgiving. Avid collectors will be sure to stake their claim that day.
Black Friday is a 50-card base set featuring players from all four major North American sports, including 27 rookie cards numbered to 599.
There also will be a 20-card Panini Collection insert, which will debut Panini’s HD+ technology.
Other inserts will include a 20 card Kings insert. These cards will feature painted images of legends and top rookies from all four sports: baseball (Diamond Kings), football (Gridiron Kings), basketball (Court Kings) and hockey (Ice Kings).
And finally, there will be a six-card Thanksgiving Classic insert, featuring key players that will play on Thanksgiving Day.
Look for Bucs running back Doug Martin to be included in the set, along with other top rookies like Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III. Some of the painted cards I saw included Hall of Fame third baseman George Brett, Chris Kreider of the New York Rangers and Luck, the Indianapolis Colts’ quarterback. And of course, Panini’s big gun, Lakers star Kobe Bryant, will be included in the set.
It’s a fun way to kick off the Christmas season.