Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
Panini’s Black Friday cards: An early look
Posted Nov 6, 2012 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Mar 27, 2013 at 10:03 PM
“When Black Friday comes I’m gonna stake my claim. …”
Those words from “Black Friday,” off Steely Dan’s 1975 album “Katy Lied,” seem appropriate for Panini America’s after Thanksgiving promotion.
Panini put out a teaser release today, touting its 50-card base set that will be released on Black Friday, Nov. 23 — the day after Thanksgiving. Avid collectors will be sure to stake their claim that day.
Black Friday is a 50-card base set featuring players from all four major North American sports, including 27 rookie cards numbered to 599.
There also will be a 20-card Panini Collection insert, which will debut Panini’s HD+ technology.
Other inserts will include a 20 card Kings insert. These cards will feature painted images of legends and top rookies from all four sports: baseball (Diamond Kings), football (Gridiron Kings), basketball (Court Kings) and hockey (Ice Kings).
And finally, there will be a six-card Thanksgiving Classic insert, featuring key players that will play on Thanksgiving Day.
Look for Bucs running back Doug Martin to be included in the set, along with other top rookies like Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III. Some of the painted cards I saw included Hall of Fame third baseman George Brett, Chris Kreider of the New York Rangers and Luck, the Indianapolis Colts’ quarterback. And of course, Panini’s big gun, Lakers star Kobe Bryant, will be included in the set.
It’s a fun way to kick off the Christmas season.