Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Panini’s Black Friday cards: An early look
Posted Nov 6, 2012 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Mar 27, 2013 at 10:03 PM
“When Black Friday comes I’m gonna stake my claim. …”
Those words from “Black Friday,” off Steely Dan’s 1975 album “Katy Lied,” seem appropriate for Panini America’s after Thanksgiving promotion.
Panini put out a teaser release today, touting its 50-card base set that will be released on Black Friday, Nov. 23 — the day after Thanksgiving. Avid collectors will be sure to stake their claim that day.
Black Friday is a 50-card base set featuring players from all four major North American sports, including 27 rookie cards numbered to 599.
There also will be a 20-card Panini Collection insert, which will debut Panini’s HD+ technology.
Other inserts will include a 20 card Kings insert. These cards will feature painted images of legends and top rookies from all four sports: baseball (Diamond Kings), football (Gridiron Kings), basketball (Court Kings) and hockey (Ice Kings).
And finally, there will be a six-card Thanksgiving Classic insert, featuring key players that will play on Thanksgiving Day.
Look for Bucs running back Doug Martin to be included in the set, along with other top rookies like Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III. Some of the painted cards I saw included Hall of Fame third baseman George Brett, Chris Kreider of the New York Rangers and Luck, the Indianapolis Colts’ quarterback. And of course, Panini’s big gun, Lakers star Kobe Bryant, will be included in the set.
It’s a fun way to kick off the Christmas season.