Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- Green seeking funds for trip
- Area Athletes Shine at Golden South Classic
- Rays @ O’s: Moore looking to go 8-0, Rays looking for sweep
- Collect call: 2013 Bowman baseball
- Rays @ O’s: Rays on FOX game of the week
- Seffner Christian’s Hanson picks Liberty
- Current Baseball America prospect list boasts five locals
- Rays @ O’s: Hellickson returns to mound to start trip
- Former Newsome tennis standout, Hersh, named POY
- Bishop McLaughlin sophomore OH Alyssa Mathis commits to San Diego State
- Rays v BoSox: Price looks for 2nd win, Escobar moved to 5th in order
- Area athletes sign and commit to colleges
- Steinbrenner announces athletic signings
- Mitchell P/INF Chris McCormick commits to PHCC
- Three Hudson girls soccer players, including first the Division I scholarship, to sign Friday
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Panini unveils NSCC promo cards
Posted Jul 9, 2012 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Jul 9, 2012 at 04:55 PM
Topps, Upper Deck and In The Game already have revealed their promotions for the 33rd National Sports Collectors Convention in Baltimore (Aug. 1-5). And on Monday, Panini America stepped up to the plate with its special cards for the event.
Stepping up to the plate is probably an odd analogy, since the four cards Panini unveiled Monday had nothing to do with baseball. That’s still a possibility, though.
Panini will showcase a six-card set that will be distributed to registered VIPs at the National. The set, styled after the Diamond Kings art cards, will include Robert Griffin III, Andrew Luck, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Kyrie Irving.
That’s four cards. Panini is keeping the final two cards a mystery until the first day of the National (Aug. 1).
The cards depicting Griffin and Luck are called Gridiron Kings, Nugent-Hopkins is labeled Ice Kings, and Irving’s card designation is Court Kings. The artwork is beautifully drawn and has a feathered, layered look to it. Very attractive.
As to the identity of the other two cards? Nominees probably include Josh Hamilton, Kobe Bryant and Kevin Durant. I could see another Court Kings card; if it was me, I’d go with Bryant. And since Hamilton is a spokesman for Panini and the four cards do not include baseball, I’d lean toward the Rangers’ star outfielder.
That puzzle will be solved on Aug. 1.