Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- Beck staying with Longhorns
- Boys Basketball:FABC/Source Hoops Florida State Poll
- No Kloss? It’s baffling
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
Panini to include new Tebow card in Rookies & Stars set
Posted Jun 13, 2013 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Jun 13, 2013 at 04:56 PM
You knew this was inevitable. Right on the heels of Tim Tebow’s signing with the New England Patriots, card companies that have licenses to produce NFL cards are scrambling to get images of the former University of Florida quarterback on cards for football season.
Thursday, Panini America teased a photo of Tebow in a Patriots uniform and said that the 2007 Heisman Trophy winner’s first card would appear in the company’s 2013 Rookies & Stars set. That product is expected to be released in late August.
Love him or hate him, Tebow is definitely a polarizing figure in the NFL. And Panini is hoping his card will help create a buzz for the Rookies & Stars set.
“Whenever you have a player with the level of popularity Tim has, and that player moves to a new team, it reinvigorates the collectibility of that player,” Jason Howarth, Panini’s vice president of marketing, said in a news release. “Fans of that player — and football fans in general — want to acquire the first trading cards of that player in his new uniform.
“Panini is excited to continue to deliver to Tim Tebow fans the very best football trading cards out there.”