Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
Panini signs autograph deal with Puig
Posted Jul 17, 2013 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Jul 17, 2013 at 12:38 PM
The Puig phenomenon continues.
Panini America announced Wednesday that it has signed a limited autograph memorabilia deal with Dodgers rookie outfielder Yasiel Puig for the company’s memorabilia division, Panini Authentic.
Puig also will appear in a marketing appearance at some point during the National Sports Collectors Convention in Chicago, which runs from July 31 through Aug. 4.
Puig will sign a customized photo as part of Panini’s VIP event during the convention. That event will be a closed session for 50 collectors who spend a good chunk of money on Panini products during the show.
In a statement, Panini CEO Mark Warsop said the company is “looking forward” to working with Puig.
“Yasiel’s rocket-like ascent this season has been one of the most captivating stories baseball has produced in quite some time,” Warsop said. “We’ve already incorporated some of Yasiel’s first rookie cards into products that will be releasing soon, but we wanted the relationship to be more than that” by delivering autographed memorabilia and by making an appearance at the NSCC.
Puig’s autographed memorabilia will be available on the Panini Authentic website. His first rookie cards will appear in the 2013 Pinnacle baseball set, which will be released in August. Puig also will have cards in 2013 Prizm baseball, which will hit stores in September.